Silver, Half Silver Half 18ct Yellow Gold Vermeil, Half Silver Half 18ct Rose Gold Vermeil, 18ct Yellow Gold Vermeil, 18ct Rose Gold Vermeil, 9ct Yellow Gold, 9ct White Gold, 18ct Yellow Gold, 18ct White Gold
(S) Bangle=approx UK size 8-10, Necklace=approx 16", Ring=approx size K
(M) Bangle=approx UK size 10-12, Necklace=approx 18", Ring=approx size M
(L) Bangle=approx UK size 14-16, Necklace=approx 20", Ring=approx size O
Sterling silver consist of 92.5% pure silver with the remaining 7.5% being made of other alloy metals such as copper or steel. Sterling silver is harder and more durable than fine silver. It will also last longer than base metals which can corrode and leave marks on your skin. Sterling is more susceptible to tarnishing due to the alloy metals within it. Please see our Care page to learn how to protect your silver jewellery from oxidation.
Gold vermeil (pronounced vermay) is sterling silver that has been gold plated. Vermeil must use at least 10 carat gold - all of our vermeil pieces use 18 carat gold. The difference between vermeil and gold-plated is that the base metal is of higher quality as it is always sterling silver. This is better for people who get allergies to the base metals of plated items such a copper and brass. Vermeil pieces also have a thicker coating of gold than plated items do - often up to 50% thicker. Due to the use of both sterling silver and gold, vermeil is stronger and retains its colour for longer than regular plated metals.
Pure gold is generally too soft for jewellery making and so other metals are almost always added to it - this is known as alloy. Alloy helps to add strength and colour. Different metals can be used as alloy and depending on which one is used will depend on the final colour of the gold. The purity of gold is indicated by its carat number. 24 carat gold is as pure as you can get for jewellery making, this is made up of 99.7-99.9% pure gold. 18 carat gold contains 75% of real gold and 25% of another metal. This other metal could be, for example, white metals to create white gold or copper to create rose gold. 9 carat gold contains 37.5% pure gold and 63.5% of another metal. This is the most affordable option for jewellery making and is a light yellow colour.
Enquire about this piece.